Sunday, June 9, 2013

Sunday Supper

Because I come from a family of foodies (or fatties if you prefer), food has always been something I paid attention to, especially in a foreign country. If you are raised to eat anything from chicken rotis to conch fritters to your average cheeseburger, then you naturally will be drawn to anything interesting and new.

British food is interesting. But it is good.

I've always heard people say "Ewww British food is weird and gross." So far I disagree completely with this. They have flavor combinations that I personally wouldn't think of, but obviously it tastes good because people eat it.

Besides tea, what is the first quintessential British food you think of? Take a sec... I'm sure you said Fish and Chips.


However, Fish and Chips in England is a bit different from the fish and chips you might find at home. Instead of cute little fish sticks, you are given a fried fish. As in a whole fish. Just look at the picture above.

Chips are amazing! Why do we call them "French Fries"?? The Brits know how to make them a whole lot better than the French do!

Do you see the green stuff in the picture? That is mashed peas. Sounds gross huh? Actually isn't too bad. The peas are mashed and into them is added vinegar and mint. Yes mint. Interesting combination as I mentioned before, but not bad. Actually makes the peas taste better.

For breakfast this morning, I had mandarin orange flavored yogurt. So delicious! Sorry vanilla yogurt and strawberry banana you gotta go.

And for lunch a delicious Moroccan Spiced Chicken Pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment