I got mistaken for a British person today!
If you walk quickly like the British and act like you have places to go and important things to do, then it must make you look British. I was walking back from Sainsbury's after class today when a woman stopped and asked me for directions. Of course the moment I opened my mouth, she knew her mistake, but it still made me very happy.
In Jane Austen class today we took a walking tour of Bath. We walked throughout the whole of Bath, despite the drizzle, in the desire to acquaint ourselves with the city that Austen knew. Our walk started by us following in the footsteps of Catherine and Isabella from Northanger Abbey as they shopped, flirted, and passed their time in Bath as fashionable young ladies.
We saw Milsom Street, the then and now street for high-end shopping.
We stopped out side of the Pump Room, the Assembly Rooms (now the Museum of Costume!), and saw the Crescent and the Circus.
I loved seeing in person all the different places that I've read about for years. Not to mention the many different sections of Bath that have been shown as snippets in dozens of movies. My Professor also showed us the different places - those that still exist - that Austen stayed at during her visits to Bath. She described which areas were popular at the time and which you wanted to avoid at all costs were you to rent a place in the early Regency.
The more I see of Bath, the more I love it. Everyday as I explore a bit more and as I begin to get my bearings in the city, the enchantment of the place sinks deeper into my soul. History is all around. You can't get away from it. And that, I must say, is absolutely wonderful



No comments:
Post a Comment