Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Fixing Gussets

So while I've been home, I've (0f course) been doing a lot of sewing.
My first main project was to fix my regency stays. When I first made them, the only real thing that I messed up on was that I did not make the bust gussets large enough. They were only like 1" wide at the top, definitely not wide enough. I took apart the binding at the top of the stays, unstitched the stitching around the gussets, and moved the sides of the main body of the stays outwards. Then of course I had to restitch everything up and put the binding back on.
I was really surprised how much of a difference this small change made in my silhouette. There is now more of the "divided" look as well of a slight "shelf" look. All of my dresses looked so much better on - the Williamsburg dress isn't as diappointing looking, the checked apron dress looks a touch better, and the jumper - sooooo much better!

A (very bad) picture of me in the Williamsburg dress

I've also been working on my 18th century embroidered pocket, an apron that might become a Christmas present if I finish it in time, and cardigan embellishing.


the apron still in pieces

and another walk in the snowy woods :)

No comments:

Post a Comment