Monday, April 25, 2011

A Gown That's Round

I have always loved the dresses of 18th century, specifically of the 1770s - I blame my Felicity doll for the specific decade :) Though I love the Regency, I want to move on.


Round gowns are the simpler of the dresses of this time. They are like robes a l’angaise, but the skirt does not open at the front to reveal the top petticoat. Someday, I want to move on to robes a l'anglaise (most especially polonaises) and robes a la francaise. Robes a la fracaise are gorgeous, but the pleats at the back have always looked complicated to toile - not the best first project. Robes a l’anglaise are very nice too, but I decided simpler is probably best for a first.


Helpfully, there is a pattern from an extant round gown given in Fitting and Proper by Sharon Ann Burnston.


When planning out my gown, I though of how pretty a dusky blue would be. So I bought my fabric, then a few days later, I was going through like projects of other costumers, and, of course, Katherine (Koshka-the-Cat) has already made a round gown. A certain round gown from Fitting and Proper...in a light dusky blue fabric. Of course. *sigh*


The reason I had first decided on blue was because I haven’t made a dress in blue yet (mustard yellow, pale yellow, white, and green) and I didn’t want to make my dress of the same colour as the original (I want to say it's a pink or something - the books at home and I'm at school so I can't check). So, I’m sticking with the blue. I already bought the fabric...


No comments:

Post a Comment