Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Williamsburg Dress

I think I'm nearly ready to start my new dress!


I got burned out a little after my fall front mixed with school craziness, but the costume bug has bitten again, and I'm ready to start sewing!

I found this dress a while ago, and fell in love with it pretty much instantly. You can find it, and a pattern (!) here. Supposedly it's from What Clothes Reveal, I wouldn't know though because I don't have. :( It's so pretty! I like how it's kinda transitional as well - in between a chemise a la reine and a real Regency gown.

I was a little worried at first, because in the description on the website, it says it was most likely used for nursing. Well I don't need a nursing gown, I'm in school for crying out loud!

I did some more research though and found out some portraits and paintings that show that style was used by basically everyone.




This dress here is almost an exact copy of the Williamsburg dress.
What a coincidence! Image found here.









In this picture by Ingres, you can see the tie on the Harvey sisters' dresses. I can't imagine that they would need this style of dress for anything baby related!
I also found this dress from a German (?) museum. Can't read the description, but it certainly seems to be the same style as my inspiration piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment